New Song Challenge: Re-Cap!

Yesterday was the last day of my "New Song Challenge."

This challenge was inspired by the "new" year. I found one, brand new song that I had never heard before and posted it. It wasn't until after I posted the song that I actually really listened to it and read through the lyrics. For most of the songs, I would listen to either small samples on itunes or the first part and chorus on youtube, just to be sure it was decent. Today, I'm going to give my thoughts on each song.


1. Best of Me - Goo Goo Dolls


I really enjoyed this song! I'm not in love with it the way I am with a lot of other Goo Goo Dolls songs (like So Alive, Name, Acoustic #3, Sympathy, Big Machine, Iris, Slide, etc.) but it's a fun, upbeat and catchy song. Of course, their lyrics are still on point. Some of my favorite lines include: "And I was so young, so blind, selfish, still green, unkind", "Ain't seen the best of me yet .... broke down and built myself again", "Human in all my mistakes. Show me divine, show me grace." They are just lyrical masters!! Some of my favorite lyrics of all time come from the Goo Goo Dolls. 7/10

2. Lonely With Me - Parachute


I love the lead singers voice in this band, so swoon-worthy!! Parachute is one band that has such cute, romantic songs that make me feel very lovey-dovey and giddy and excited about the possibility of finding love! Haha, I literally turn into a middle-school girl. Their song Without You came out this past summer (I believe) and I was hooked the second I listened to it! Lonely With Me is another one of their newer songs that when I heard the sample on itunes, I thought it was catchy enough. Also, I liked the name of the song. Refer to my post to read why. And it is! It also has all the elements of a good Parachute song ;) Cute, great voice, catchy tune, happy .... yeah, I really like this one! 8/10

3. Sweet Misery - Michelle Branch


I surprisingly really enjoyed this one! I've found myself randomly humming or singing the chorus to myself throughout the week. It has a very nostalgic feel to me. Perhaps it's because of the early-2000's feel of the song .... or that it's Michelle Branch's' voice that I remember loving and listening to when I was a pre-teen (All You Wanted, Everywhere and You Get Me). Anyway, it's actually one of my favorite songs from the week for some random reason! "Random" seems to be the best word for me to use when describing Michelle Branch and her music and my association with it. I want to listen to more of her stuff so keep an eye out for more old "new" Michelle Branch songs in the future! 9/10

4. What If - Nina


One of the most random songs of the entire week! I was feeling in a romantic mood I guess when I decided to do a youtube search for a love song .... I can't even remember what it was exactly that I typed in. And this wasn't the first song I listened to and considered posting .... it was the second. The words were just more fitting for and my current very single and very dreaming-of-romance-and-love state of mind. It's a slower song, softer. But it's sweet, hopeful and romantic. "It's not impossible, it's not impossible. It happens each day. People find each other, fall in love with one another, it happens this way." 6/10

5. Castle on the Hill - Ed Sheeran


This one was the "newest" song for me. I saw it was the number one song on itunes so without listening to even a second of it I found the video, barely glimpsed at the lyrics and posted it to my blog! Then I listened to it. It's actually a lot catchier than I thought it would be. I do really like the chorus and melody but I'm not a fan of some of the lyrics .... especially those referring to drugs and underage drinking. It sounds like Ed is telling a story and/or singing about personal memories and I think that is sweet and nostalgic but still .... some of the topics are not something I feel are appropriate to sing about in such a light way. It almost seems like he's promoting that kind of behavior and "fun" and that it's something everyone does at least once in their life. And it just makes me uncomfortable. But the chorus is extremely catchy and his singing is really good and strong, especially at the end. 5/10

6. Awake and Arise - LDS Hymnbook, pg. 8


Because I have a goal of only listening to reverent and Christ-centered religious music on Sundays this year I chose a hymn from the hymnbook that I had never heard or sung before. It's a refreshing song. The lyrics were powerful and motivating to me: "Awake and arise .... has burst like the dawn .... that glorious day only dreamed by the sages .... Oh lift up your voices in song and in story .... is marching triumphantly over the world." This isn't a song I would typically listen to on a daily basis but it's always good to have a change and a day of more peaceful and restful music. 6/10

7. Invisible - Hunter Hayes


Probably my favorite song of the week! It has such a sweet, uplifting and inspiring message! I'm still struggling a lot right now. With my depression and anxiety of course but also with self-acceptance, confidence and self-love. I found this song on a day when I was feeling very down and sad. The lyrics touched my heart and gave me strength and hope. "Crowded hallways are the loneliest places." These lyrics could not ring more true for me and my past experiences!! Some of my most "loneliest" memories are actually those of when I have been surrounded by people. Hunter Hayes is an extremely talented singer especially considering how young he is. And I think he does country music well :) 9/10

8. Missing You - Brandy


Hm. I don't know how or why I ended up doing 8 days .... maybe I wasn't counting Sunday's hymn? Or I thought a week meant going every day until you got back to the beginning. Since my first song was on a Tuesday I guess I felt I had to end on a Tuesday too. So everyone got a bonus song! Haha. Wow, my brain. Anyway, I wanted to find a song that kind of captured my feelings of how much I've been missing my sisters. This one seemed to be the best fit. By far not my favorite song, not only because it's a sad song but it's just really not my type of music. I do like it more than I initially thought I would but this is one I won't be coming back to like several of the others from this week. 4/10


And that pretty much sums it up! I'm actually really happy with how this past week (and one day) went and all the "new" songs I have discovered. It was a really fun challenge that I definitely want to do again sometime! I really, really like 4 of my eight (so half!) enough to go back to and listen to often (Best of Me, Lonely With Me, Sweet Misery and Invisible). I also like 2 of the 8 enough to listen to when I'm busy and need music to help me stay focused and motivated .... like while I'm cleaning my room that just always seems to get messy and I don't know how to keep it clean for longer than a day! (What If and Castle on the Hill .... plus the 4 mentioned above that I really liked!). And What If definitely earns a spot on my "Single Girls Valentine Music Tribute."

Thanks for tuning in (if anyone did) for this challenge! I hope you've enjoyed listening to a brand "new" song every day this week. But the music doesn't stop here .... it ain't never stopping, not this year! I'll have a new song up for today and every single day I can this entire year so please keep stopping by and listening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley