The Wizard of Oz ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ‘ 

Our final stop is in the land of Oz with songs inspired by the classic, Wizard of Oz! ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ‘  Has anyone noticed a theme between my three favorite fairytales? They all take place in far-off, mystical, magical dreamlands! I clearly always loved the idea of escapism and found that in these stories and movies. 

Make sure you go check out my Wizard of Ahhh's! post to see clips and songs from the original, classic 1939 film and Todrick Hall's incredibly creative Wizard of Ahhh's compilation feat. Pentatonix! It's scenes from the movie with modern day songs, a long-time favorite of mine. This post also contains PTX's cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Gorgeous! ๐Ÿ˜

*For anyone wondering, I mentioned in my above referenced post that I was going to read the book Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. This was two years ago and I did indeed read the book...and it was AWFUL! Learn from my mistake and DO NOT waste your time with that filth! Whoever adapted it to create the play is a genius and did everyone (including the author) a favor! It could have been so good and creative but it was boring and gross and confusing and way too long! No character development, no relationship development, dark and twisted and just weird! I skipped pages at a time to avoid reading steamy, graphic, sexual encounters. Not worth it at all! A major disappointment!*


Come take a journey down the yellow-brick road for more Wizard of Oz inspired musical delights!


First up, The Wiz!
I only watched this movie a few years ago after I found out Michael Jackson was in it! The movie is based on a play of the same name that stars an all African-American cast and is set in a contemporary world. I've never seen the play version, but I found the movie to be creative and entertaining. In no way, shape or form does it come even close to the greatness of the original film, which is one of my childhood favorite movies of all time so I will allow absolutely NO comparison to the original masterpiece. Judy Garland IS the one and only Dorothy! I may be biased, but Michael stole the show! He nailed his part as the Scarecrow, it fit him perfectly! The way he could move his body was brilliant and totally looks like he's made of straw (or in this case, shreds of newspaper). 

You Can't Win
Easily one of the best songs/scenes of the entire movie! Michal's voice is ๐Ÿ˜ SLAY! 



Ease on Down the Road
I can't lie, I LOVE this funky re-make of Follow the Yellow-brick Road! It's so groovy and fun! And again, Michaels vocals ๐Ÿ˜ Just the BEST! Also, the lyrics have a pretty good message: 

"Don't you carry nothing that might be a load, come on and ease on down, ease on down the road" Don't keep carrying your baggage and worries with you, let them go and keep moving right along happy and free! 

"You just keep on keepin' on the road that you choose, don't you give up walkin' cause you gave up shoes, no" If you have a dream, work hard at it, keep going and don't give up! 

"Cause there maybe times when you think you lost your mind. And the steps you're takin' leave you three, four steps behind. But the road you're walking might be long sometimes, you just keep on steppin' and you'll just be fine, yeah!" ... "Well there maybe times when you wish you wasn't born. And you wake one morning just to find your courage's gone. But just know that feeling only last a little while, you stick with us and we'll show you how to smile, yeah!" No matter how many mistakes you make or times you think you've failed, just keep on going! It will get better as long as you keep "easin' on down the road!"


Full version


(I'm A) Mean Ole Lion ๐Ÿฆ
I don't know why but I've always liked this one since I first watched the film ๐Ÿ˜‚ The chorus is super catchy! The Lion has always been one of my favorite characters in the Wizard of Oz (along with Dorothy and the Scarecrow) so it's fitting I love both of their songs so much in this version! 



Ease on Down the Road #3
OK but Diana's soulful intro is amazing!! And then Michael comes roaring (no pun intended) in with his undeniable passion and power! And then there's the Tin Man...๐Ÿ˜ I do not like the Tin Man in this version. He's so annoying and his voice isn't even good! 



Be A Lion
Any song you can hear MJ singing in, even if just a little bit, I'll share ๐Ÿ˜



A Brand New Day 
I actually really like this one! ๐ŸŒž



Home
You know, I really didn't mind that Dorothy was so much older in this version, it made it so I could relate to her a little more, now that I'm old ๐Ÿ˜…


BONUS VIDEO!!

When You Wish Upon A Star/Ease On Down the Road
This right here is pure magic and happiness!!! Michael is SO ADORABLE and I have chills when he sings When You Wish Upon A Star and his rendition of Follow the Yellow-brick Road. UGH! AMAZING!! ๐Ÿคฉ




Over the Rainbow - Josh Groban
This man and his voice can do no wrong! It's like a dream! ๐Ÿ˜ The guitar intro gives me chills, absolutely stunning!



Hurricane - Bridgit Mendler
This one makes me laugh! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Disney Channel throwback anyone? I never cared for this girl and her music, but my brother played this throwback song the other day and it makes a reference to Dorothy and the tornado so, I had to include it! ๐ŸŒช



Rainbow - Sia ๐ŸŒˆ
No Wizard of Oz reference here but the song is called Rainbow and Rainbows and the Wizard of Oz go hand-in-hand so I thought it worked. Plus, I do really like the song (I didn't know it was from a My Little Pony movie when I first heard it OK!? Don't judge me...I'm not one of those grown ups who likes My Little Pony...I'm just a grown up you who loves fairy-tales ๐Ÿ˜…).



Where I Belong - Zac Hanson
From Hanson's latest studio release RGB. This one is from the Blue section, which is Zac's. You can go read what I thought about this song on my first impression listen here, but I have to say it's grown a lot on me. It's one I have found myself singing along with and humming. It totally has a very dream-like, fantasy quality to it and with the line "somewhere under the rainbow faraway" is a thousand percent Wizard of Oz so, it fits in perfectly with this colorful playlist ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒˆ




Now would be the perfect time to listen to Wicked, which would be the perfect start to the quickly approaching Halloweeseason ๐Ÿงน๐Ÿ˜‰ 

This officially ends my segment of nostalgic, fairytale favorites, throwbacks and music sharing!✨ I hope it's filled you're heart with wonder and enchantment and reminded you of your own childhood favorites! ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ Remember to come back tomorrow for my first installment of 30 on the 30th! And then October 1st we will officially ring in SpOoKy SeAsOn!! ๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ˜ˆ You won't want to miss it! Get ready for terrifying tunes to last all month long!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley