MLK Day 2020!

HAPPY MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY!

I have been reading a book this month written by Reverend King (A Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story) along with re-reading the simple biography that I had read last year in honor of this holiday. Again, I have been impressed and inspired by this great man and his courage and willingness to fight injustice through moral and non-violent ways. I have also been extremely inspired by the hundreds of African Americans who chose to follow him by boycotting, sit-ins, walking in peaceful protests and even going to prison. My heart hurt reading about the Children's Crusade and the way children were treated by grown "men." The four little girls killed in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. The horror of the KKK. The intense violence and persecution so many people faced as they marched from Selma to Birmingham. It's all so terribly sad.

I have spent the day reading my books, reading A Letter From A Birmingham Jail (so inspiring!), listening to the I Have A Dream speech, watched the 2014 film Selma and on my walk, listened to songs that I felt spoke to the cause/ideals Martin Luther King Jr. stood for. And they all just happened to be by the KING: Michael Jackson! Enjoy my montage of inspiring MJ songs that fit the man we celebrate today! In chronological order:

In Our Small Way - Michael Jackson, Got to Be There, 1972



People Make the World Go Round - Michael Jackson, Ben, 1972



We Are the World - U.S.A. For Africa, We Are the World - Single, 1985




Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson, Bad, 1987



Heal the World - Michael Jackson, Dangerous, 1991



Keep the Faith - Michael Jackson, Dangerous, 1991



They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson, HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1, 1995



History - Michael Jackson, HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1, 1995




Excerpts from A Letter From A Birmingham Jail:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley