We Can Be Together Forever Someday

Song: We Can Be Together Forever Someday
Artist: Michael McLean

Today was a sad day :( Several of my family members have left. The holidays are coming to an end. It's been such a fun Christmas, surrounded by family. We were almost all together again (minus my little bro who is still out on his mission). We got to talk to him via Skype Christmas Day so for about one hour, everyone, me and all my siblings, our parents and our new nephew/grandson were all together! It was special. Since my family is growing and changing so much, I know this was really and truly a special and unique time for us. Next year, my younger sister will be gone on a mission (even though my current missionary brother will be back) and my married sister, brother-in-law and nephew will be with the other side of their family. I don't know if we will really ever experience another Christmas all together again. And who knows when the next kid will get married (my guess is my missionary brother) and be bringing home another person (or be stuck with their significant others family!). I like my family just the way it is and I don't want it to change! No more in-laws! Having more kids around would be fun .... but that can't happen unless more of us get married .... and I don't want anymore of us to get married. As you can tell I'm very attached to my family and have an extremely difficult time with change.

Over these past couple of years, I have been trying hard to really cherish the time I have with my family. To soak in every moment. I try to remind myself that no matter what, we are all still family. That even though things are changing, there are still things that have remained the same (i.e. our inside jokes and weird sense of humor, lol). It's just hard. And maybe it's extra hard for me because, for the past 8 years now, I have watched my siblings all grow up and change and move on but I have remained the same. And I don't know if my resistance to change is because I really just hate change that much or I'm jealous because everyone else has been successfully moving forward without me. It's probably a little bit of both. Either way, we are a very close family who cry when we say good-bye and really do like spending time together.

One of my goals for this new year is to embrace change better. To remind myself that even though things are changing (and always will be) it's going to be OK. We will all adjust. We will still see each other and be in one anothers life. This is will always be a top priority for me.

I got to go see Michael McLean's The Forgotten Carols this year and at the end of the concert, Michael came out and had us (the entire audience) sing the chorus of this song with him. It was a really sweet experience that (of course!) brought tears to my eyes as I thought of, you guessed it! My family. My dad later showed me the whole song and I just love it and dedicate it to my family whom I love and adore and miss so much! The message of this song is beautiful, inspiring and hopeful. No matter what, I believe we really will be together forever someday! After dropping my brother off at the airport my dad made the comment "I'm not sure exactly what heaven is going to be like, but I think for us, it's going to be like how it is when we're all singing in the car together! We're a family that just really likes being together." That comment makes me happy (road trips, singing and listening to our family's very diverse music catalog is one of my favorite memories of being with my family) and hopeful that all of the pain and emotion we feel when we say good-bye will be worth it because one day, after all of this is over, we will get to be happy and safe and together forever. Because driving in the car, listening and singing along to our favorite songs, truly is heaven to me!


Well, it's hard to say good bye and let go
And it's hard to see it end
When the mem'ries we've just made
May never happen again.
But it's harder for time to ever erase
The together times we've shared.
So, when we're apart remember
All the love we shared together

And for all that love,
Thank the Lord above
Who showed us the way
That we can be together, forever someday



*To learn more about what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches about eternal families (and what I believe and hold to be true) please visit lds.org and see here.

Comments

  1. I read this article, it is really informative one. Your way of writing and making things clear is very impressive.

    Marriage Counseling Mclean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley