Who Am I?

Enduring Well by Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Jesus’ perfect empathy was ensured when, along with His Atonement for our sins, He took upon Himself our sicknesses, sorrows, griefs, and infirmities and came to know these “according to the flesh” (Alma 7:11–12). He did this in order that He might be filled with perfect, personal mercy and empathy and thereby know how to succor us in our infirmities. He thus fully comprehends human suffering. Truly Christ “descended below all things, in that He comprehended all things” (D&C 88:6).

Anne Morrow Lindbergh wisely cautioned: “I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable” (“Lindbergh Nightmare,” Time, 5 Feb. 1973, 35).


Certain forms of suffering, endured well, can actually be ennobling. Annie Swetchine said, “Those who have suffered much are like those who know many languages; they have learned to understand and be understood by all” (quoted in Neal A. Maxwell, We Will Prove Them Herewith [1982], 123).

The Apostle Paul spoke from considerable personal experience when observing that “no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous” (Heb. 12:11). You and I are not expected to pretend chastening is pleasant, but we are expected to “endure it well” (D&C 121:8). Only afterward is “the peaceable fruit of righteousness” enjoyed by those who “are exercised thereby” (Heb. 12:11).

Moroni said that only “after the trial of [our] faith” do we receive certain assurances and blessings (Ether 12:6). Taking Jesus’ yoke upon us really does help us learn of Him as we personally experience His special love for us (see Matt. 11:29). We also come to appreciate more His meekness and lowliness.

Edith Hamilton observed: “When love meets no return the result is suffering, and the greater the love the greater the suffering. There can be no greater suffering than to love purely and perfectly one who is bent upon evil and self-destruction. That was what God endured at the hands of men” (Spokesman for God, [1936], 112).

Part of enduring well consists of being meek enough, amid our suffering, to learn from our relevant experiences. Rather than simply passing through these things, they must pass through us and do so in ways which sanctify these experiences for our good (see D&C 122:7). Thereby, our empathy, too, is enriched and everlasting.

C. S. Lewis has said that only those who resist temptation really understand the power of temptation. Because Jesus resisted it perfectly, He understood temptation perfectly; hence He can help us. (See Mere Christianity [1952], 124–25.) 

Jesus Christ, who by far suffered the most, has the most compassion—for all of us who suffer so much less. Moreover, He who suffered the most has no self-pity!

The Book of Mormon describes Jesus’ Atonement as the “infinite atonement” (Alma 34:12); it certainly required infinite suffering. When suffering and burdened Jesus entered Gethsemane, He “fell on the ground” (Mark 14:35). He did not merely kneel down, pray intensely and briefly, and leave. His agonies were so great that He began to bleed at every one of thousands of His pores (see D&C 19:18). An angel, whose identity we do not know, came to strengthen Him (see Luke 22:43). Mark wrote that Jesus became “sore amazed” and “very heavy” (Mark 14:33), meaning in the Greek, respectively, “astonished and awestruck” and “depressed and dejected.” None of us can tell Christ anything about depression!

In the Atonement Jesus experienced what He later described as “the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God” (D&C 76:107D&C 88:106). We can’t even begin to imagine what it would have been like as He stood in our places and paid the price for our sins.

Though sinless Himself, He bore the sins of billions. Thus His empathy and mercy became fully perfected and personalized. Indeed, He thus “descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things” (D&C 88:6; see also 122:8).


I am so glad I took the time to read this talk today. It was incredible. So many beautiful, uplifting and inspiring quotes. A while back at one of my institute classes, the teacher was talking about Christ and his Atonement and read Alma 7:11-12:

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.


And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
He asked what it means when it says "and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy." For the most part, I've always considered "infirmities" to be like sickness or pain. But the answer my teacher provided that night, has given me a whole new perspective on that word and on Christ. He said, "Infirmities are the things that people can't change." When he said that, I immediately thought about my infirmities: anxiety and depression. There have been so many times that these "mental monsters" have gotten the better of me. So many times when I have felt completely hopeless, believing that "life isn't ever going to get better than this." I know I'm always going to have these "issues." But I learned, from this scripture, that it's OK. And that Christ knows that and understands that. Loneliness is my "most felt" feeling, I guess you could say. My thoughts seem to constantly repeat, "No one understands. No one can help me." This scripture and the explanation from this teacher has given me new hope and more love and appreciation for the Savior than probably ever before. Christ can "succor me in my infirmities" because "he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things." The pain that seems to be always overwhelmingly present in me life, that is controlling and demanding, I can take all of that pain and give it to the Savior. He will take it from me and give me the strength to endure it. I can find hope and peace in the truth that Christ has provided a way for me to return to live with Him again, even if it means I make mistakes due to something I can't control. He knows my heart and my desires, even if nobody else does or will.

"He descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things" (D&C 88:6)
"And he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." (Alma 7:12)



This is an incredibly long and personal post. If you've made it this far, wow! You're a trooper! You made it to the song :) I hope you will love it as much as I do. I'll be honest, I can't listen to it without shedding a tear or two. This song is from another one of those animated, scripture story cartoons. Despite it being made for children, I think the message of this song is just perfect and fitting for my post today. Why would Christ suffer for me? Who am I to be worthy of that kind of love? I will never comprehend the love that my Savior so freely gives me. But it is enough to know that he does. And I love him too.



Today's theme is so fitting and appropriate and goes along with this glorious testimony I have gained. Christ understands. He gets it. Every, single bad day he's felt it too. He is the way, the only way to help me get through it all. Hallelujah! I thank God every single day for the gift of His Son.




#Hallelujah: For Christ's infinite and everlasting Atonement! For his grace and mercy. For "descending below all things, that he comprehends all things." For his perfect and personal mercy and empathy on my behalf!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley