The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever.

I made this AMAZING cake for my Mother's Day dessert! It was a HUGE hit, everyone LOVED it! I have to say, the name has it right. This stuff is too good to be true. Very, very moist and chocolaty, it's heaven. Thank you Pioneer Woman!
 
Ingredients:
  • FOR THE CAKE:
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 4 (heaping) Tablespoons Cocoa powder
  • 2 sticks of Butter
  • 1 cup Boiling Water
  • 1/2 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 whole beaten Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • FOR THE FROSTING:
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Pecans (optional) - I didn't use pecans
  • 1-3/4 stick Butter
  • 4 (heaping) Tablespoons Cocoa powder
  • 6 Tablespoons Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 pound (minus 1/2 cup) Powdered Sugar - I googled this the day I made the cake and now I forgot how many cups I used! I believe I used 3-1/2....I believe I read 4 cups = 1 pound and then I had to take half of that away. Should have written that down! But that is what is sounding familiar to me. Sorry!
Preparation:
 
Note: I use an 18 x 13 sheet cake pan - I used a regular cookie sheet....not sure what the measurements are.
 
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
 
In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together. Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
 
In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk on hand so I made my own! Super simple. All it is is, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (can also use lemon juice) and just under one cup of milk. So pour the tablespoon of vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and then fill up to the one cup line with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Done!) and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
 
While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely (optional). Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, the turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake (I let the cake set for about 5 minutes or so before pouring on the icing).
 
Cut into squares and enjoy!
 
I was super impressed with how this cake turned out! It was simple to make and tastes divine! The frosting had little chunks (probably because I didn't stir it good enough) but no one really noticed and it still tasted amazing! Seriously though, I can't say enough good things about this cake. You really just need to make it for yourself. To die for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley