Homemade Granola Bars

Doing something a little different today! Posting a recipe :) I LOVE to bake and cook and lately I've been working on this talent of mine. Last week I made some granola bars (a recipe from one of my favorite television programs, The Pioneer Woman) and they turned out really yummy! They're a little dry and crumbly but that makes them great to put on yogurt or with your cereal. The taste reminds me of the Oats & Honey Nature Valley Bars. I also adjusted the recipe a bit to make them healthier. I'm not saying these things are totally healthy but they're probably MUCH better for you than the store bought granola bars. Plus you know exactly what's going in them! This is a fairly easy recipe and I had most of the ingredients on hand!
 
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups Rolled Oats (not Quick Oats) - I used Old Fashioned Oats
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted, plus more for greasing - I used Coconut Oil
  • 1/4 cups Vegetable or Canola Oil
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 1/4 cup Apple Juice - I didn't have apple juice so I used unsweetened applesauce, it's better for you anyway :)
  • 1/4 cup Molasses - I used dark molasses which has less sugar....next time I'm going to try replacing the molasses with Greek yogurt. I heard yogurt is a substitute for molasses, who knew!? Plus it would make them even healthier :)
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal - I didn't have any so I didn't use this ingredient. They still turned out great!
  • 1 cup Wheat Germ
  • I added about 1 cup (maybe a little less) of Ground Flax seed (this isn't in the original recipe)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans - I didn't add pecans because a) I didn't have any and b) I don't like 'em!
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped Almonds
  • 8 ounces, weight Milk Chocolate or Chocolate Almond Bark, melted (optional)  - I didn't dip mine this time, trying to be healthy.
Preparation:
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 
In a bowl, toss the oats with the canola oil, melted butter (or coconut oil, not melted) and salt. Spread the mixture out on 2 baking sheets and toast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking the pan twice and making sure they don't burn. Remove from the oven and set aside.
 
Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F.
 
In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, apple juice (or applesauce) and molasses. Heat the mixture slowly, stirring until all combined. Add in vanilla.
 
Toss together the toasted oats, rice cereal, wheat germ, ground flax seed, pecans and almonds. Pour in the sugar mixture, stirring as you pour. Toss to combine, it will be sticky!
 
Press into 1 baking sheet (thoroughly greased with butter (or coconut oil) or line a pan with foil and grease foil - I didn't do that but I probably will next time) and bake until golden, about 20 - 25 minutes - I let mine go for 25, that might be why they turned out a little dry and extra crisp. They will be soft when you first pull them out, but do not despair! They will harden up once they have time to cool. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut pieces with a sharp knife and remove from the pan.
 
OPTIONAL:
 
Dip the cooled granola bars straight into the melted chocolate so that the top is plain and the bottom is chocolate covered. Set on parchment paper until set or let them set in the fridge.
 
*My granola bars DID NOT turn out perfectly. A few of them broke and crumbled as I was cutting them out. The crumbled bits make a great topping and you can cut the granola into bars or squares. They are still tasty and are a better snack to eat than something store bought.
 
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! I plan on posting more as I am really into cooking, especially more healthy. Check back soon for a couple recipes I made for Mother's Day :) Note: NOT healthy recipes :) But sooooo delicious!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morticia and Gomez Addams Love Song: "Rot Next to You"

Siren Call

Sally's Song and Corpse Bride Medley